St Hugh's serves as the Anglican parish church for West Bermondsey, within the Anglican Diocese of Southwark
It is technically a Conventional District within the parish of Southwark Cathedral, with whom it has strong links, but St Hugh's has its own distinctive history and character and behaves like a parish church in its own right. Originally part of the Charterhouse Mission Settlement, one of south-east London's historic Settlements (latterly known as Charterhouse-in-Southwark) St Hugh's Church was in the basement of one of the former Charterhouse Settlement buildings serving the people in the neighbourhood since 1896.
In 2009 the Trustees of Charterhouse-in-Southwark made the radical decision not to continue as a service provider in buildings that were no longer fit for purpose, but to sell the buildings and become a grant-making charity. The building which housed the church was sold, and subsequently demolished. Ecclesiastical law required the church to be replaced, and the new church was dedicated and opened by the Bishop of Southwark on 8 December 2013.
Please join us for worship every Sunday at 9.30am.
By God's Grace St Hugh's aims:
- to be an active Christian presence in the community
- to make St Hugh's Church a place of prayer and peace in the heart of the inner-city, open and welcoming to all regardless of race, faith background, gender, age or sexuality
- to encourage and support each other, young and old, in our Christian faith
The Rainbow Room
The Rainbow Room at St Hugh's is a Community hire space, available for charitable and commercial lettings on Monday - Saturday between 8am - 9pm. For further details please download a copy of our brochure here. If you are interested in hiring this space please contact us by email here
Crosby Row, Bermondsey, London, SE1 3PT
The Revd Canon Michael Rawson
0207 367 6706 or by email
The Revd David Adamson
020 3612 4687 or by email
The Revd Linda Scott-Garnett
Honarary Assistant Curate
020 3689 0939