A people with hearts on fire, loving God, walking with Jesus and led by the Spirit

Southwark Cathedral is the Cathedral church for the Diocese of Southwark which serves the people of South London and Surrey.

The Diocese was formed in 1905 and covers 317 square miles and more than 2.5 million people.  The current and tenth Bishop of Southwark is the Rt Revd Christopher Chessun who was enthroned in March 2011.

The Diocese has three Episcopal Areas, Croydon, Kingston and Woolwich each led by an Area Bishop and two Archdeacons.  Each Episcopal Area has a team of staff working with local parishes.

Bishops of Southwark

1905 - 1911  Edward Stuart Talbot

1911 - 1919  Hubert Murray Burge

1919 - 1932  Cyril Foster Garbett

1932 - 1942  Richard Godfrey Parsons

1942 - 1959  Bertram Fitzgerald Simpson

1959 - 1980  Arthur Mervyn Stockwood

1980 - 1991  Ronald Oliver Bowlby

1991 - 1998  Robert Kerr Williamson

1998 - 2010  Thomas Frederick Butler

2011 - present  Christopher Thomas James Chessun

For further information please visit the Diocese of Southwark website here

The Diocese Hearts on Fire blog can be found here

A digital copy of the Diocesan newspaper The Bridge can be found here

Crest (c) Southwark Cathedral