Visiting the Cathedral during the Coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic
From Thursday 5 November until further notice the Cathedral will be open for private prayer and reflection only between the following times:
Monday - Friday
10.00am - 2.00pm
Saturday and Sunday
11.00am - 3.00pm
At this time the Cathedral will not be available for services, general sight seeing or tours and the shop, cafe and meeting areas will remain closed until further notice. Only the nave will be accessible and there will be no toilet facilities available.
The good news is that the Cathedral will continue to be here for those who wish to join us online. Our online and digital worship will take place at the following times;
9.00am - Morning Prayer
11.00am - Choral Eucharist
6.00pm - Night Prayer (Compline)
Monday - Saturday
9.00am - Morning Prayer
8.00pm - Night Prayer (Compline)
There are a number of different ways for you to join us online for these services. You can view the service direct from this website here, or our YouTube page here, alternatively you may wish to join our friendly and welcoming online congregation at our Facebook page here
Please note that all events showing on this website up to the 2 December have been cancelled.
The Cathedral cafe and Cathedral Shop will also be closed until further notice. Our Online Shop will continue to stay open during lockdown and has a great range of Christmas gifts, cards and decorations including advent candles and calendars in stock. You can visit our online shop here
You could also follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or sign up for our weekly e-newsletter at the bottom of our home-page to recieve updates and to find out what we are doing during lockdown as well as what we are planning for Advent and Christmas.
We are committed to the continued well being of all those who visit, work and worship at Southwark Cathedral so if you do visit us for private prayer during this period of lockdown then due to our on-going efforts to assist our community in preventing the spread of COVID-19, we have implemented the following enhanced protocols and procedures you will notice during your time with us.
- A designated entrance, at the Churchyard gates on Bedale Street and designated exit through the Millennium Courtyard on Montague Close
- A one way route through the Cathedral that reinforces physical distancing guidelines
- The provision of hand sanitizer stations throughout the site
- Frequent cleaning and disinfecting of touchpoints including handles, rails, seating and toilet facilities
- A copy of our Risk Assesement for public use of Southwark Cathedral during the Coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic can be found here
What can I do to help?
- Please visit us at another time if you or a member of your household or group are feeling unwell
- Wash your hands often using soap or water for 20 seconds or use hand sanitiser
- Wear a face covering
- Stay at least 2m away from others and follow the one way route around the Cathedral
- If you need to cough or sneeze, please do so into your elbow, not in your hand or the air