Cathedrals are spectacular and wonderful expressions of the mission of God in His world
You may be aware that the Archbishops’ Council, following the Visitations at both Peterborough and Exeter Cathedrals, established a Working Group to examine, as a matter of urgency, the issues of governance and financial controls as they affect all Cathedrals. The draft report is published today. The report can be read online here
A couple of copies are also available from the Cathedral Reception in Montague Chambers.
The Chair of the Working Party, the Bishop of Stepney, has asked that each Chapter consult the following groups
- Members of Chapter, including Residentiary Canons
- Any other clergy licensed to the cathedral
- Senior lay staff including the head of finance and safeguarding officer
- Members of the College of Canons
- Members of the Cathedral Council
- Trustees and staff of any development or fundraising body associated with the cathedral
- Members of the FAC
- Friends Groups
- Representatives of Cathedral volunteers
The Chapter has decided that the best way we can achieve this, given that responses are needed before the end of 28 February, is to arrange two meetings. One of these will be for the Chapter and Council but the other is for the congregation as we believe it is important to hear your views.
Members of the Cathedral congregation are therefore invited to an open meeting on Sunday 11 February at 12.30pm. This will take place in the Garry Weston Library.
Following the meetings Canon Michael Rawson and Mr Peter Haddock (a lay member of Chapter) will prepare a response from the Chapter on behalf of the Cathedral. However, you are welcome to make individual or group responses to the Working Group. We hope that, where possible, we can make one response.
Dean of Southwark