The Church of England has issued advice provided by the government relating to how we should respond in relation to the Coronavirus (COVID-19)
The Chapter of Southwark Cathedral has decided that in response to this we will do the following;
- That all those administering communion (clergy and laity) will sanitise their hands after the peace.
- That intinction (dipping the bread into the cup) will not be allowed as it provides a threat of infection.
- That those who do not wish to receive the consecrated wine from the chalice should receive in one kind only i.e. just receive the bread.
- The bread will be placed into the outstretched hands of communicants, and not directly into their mouths.
- Hand sanitiser will be widely available for any member of the congregation to use.
These are of course only precautions at this stage but we will continue to monitor further advice and change our practice as required.
Updated information can be found at the Church of England website here