Area 1 (Nave)
The Nave was re-built in 1895 to the design of Sir Arthur Blomfield.
Beyond the Crossing is the oldest complete part of the building, the Choir and Retrochoir, dating from the 13th century. At the end of the Choir is the Great Screen of 1520, filled with statues from the early 20th century.
At the West End is a window designed by Henry Holiday showing scenes of the Creation.
Christian life begins with baptism and so the font, at which baptisms take place, stands between the north and south entrances of the Cathedral.
Though the nave is modern there are remains of the former medieval nave by the S-W Doorway.
See also the Norman Doorway.
Adjacent to the S-W Doorway can be found the Marchioness Memorial to the 51 people who lost their lives when a River Thames pleasure boat sank near to the Cathedral in 1989. The memorial is shaped like a ship's wheel and was dedicated in 1991.
In 1469 the roof of the priory church collapsed and the stone vaulting was replaced by a carved wooden ceiling. These roof bosses are some of the carvings from that ceiling.
The Devil swallows Judas Iscariot, the disciple one who betrayed Jesus.
The Pelican feeds its young with its own blood: a symbol of Christ's sacrifice.
Along the north aisle is a series of windows, designed by the firm of Kempe, depicting famous inhabitants of Southwark with literary connections.
Oliver Goldsmith (1728-1774), poet and novelist, "a wayward genius who practised medicine on Bankside without obtaining much in the way of fees".
Samuel Johnson (1709-1784), author, lexicographer, critic and conversationalist, and friend of the Thrale family, local brewers, with whom he often stayed.
Henry Sacheverell (1705 -1790), a controversial preacher and Chaplain of the church here. He became noted for his sermons attaching the Whig government. He was tried, found guilty, and banned from preaching for three years. Following the Tories return to government, he returned to St Saviour's, preaching his first sermon from the text "Father forgive them for they know not what they do".
Alexander Cruden (1701-1770), author of a concordance of the King James Authorized Version of the Bible.
John Bunyan (1628-1688), a Baptist preacher and author of 'The Pilgrim's Progress', he preached at a Baptist Chapel in nearby Duke Street.
Geoffrey Chaucer (c1340-1400), The window depicts pilgrims setting out from the nearby Tabard Inn (demolished in 1875) to Canterbury, as recalled in his Canterbury Tales.
On the last two pillars eastwards in the nave are, on the left (north), a carving of the Virgin and Child, by Peter Eugene Ball, and on the right (south), an icon of Christ the Saviour, a gift of the Romanian Patriarch. These together represent the dedication of the Cathedral to St Saviour and St Mary.
There are five Anglican Dioceses in Zimbabwe. Each of the three Episcopal Areas in the Diocese of Southwark is linked to one of them. The Kingston Area with Matabeleland; the Croydon Area with Central Zimbabwe; the Woolwich Area with Manicaland.
People in Zimbabwe pray daily for us. The greatest gift you can offer is to pray daily for them.
God bless Zimbabwe,
Protect her children,
Transform her leaders,
Heal her communities,
And grant her peace, for Jesus Christ's sake.
If you would like to know more or offer practical support please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
In 1212 a disastrous fire swept through Southwark, badly damaging the church, priory, and hospital. Only a few traces of the Norman work survive, including the internal arch of a doorway in the north aisle of the nave. The bases of this arch are about two feet (61 centimetres) below the floor level of the present building.
In the north aisle is the elaborate medieval canopied tomb of John Gower (died 1408). Gower was court poet to Richard II and Henry IV and a close friend of Geoffrey Chaucer.
A recumbent effigy of Gower, with his head resting on copies of his three greatest works, adorns the tomb.
Gower studied law but dedicated his life to "poetry and pleasure." When Henry IV usurped the throne, Gower switched allegiance. One disapproving biographer commented that " he was no gentleman."
His three most famous works were a series of love stories, Confessio Amantis, a philosophical treatise Speculum Meditantis, and a political satire Vox Clamantis.
He is also commemorated by a window above the tomb.
The International John Gower Society is dedicated to the study of the poet's works:
Wenceslas Hollar (1607-1677) was the engraver responsible for one of the most famous views of London. He is remembered here as his view was drawn from the top of the Cathedral tower. A native of Bohemia, Hollar lived in exile under the patronage of the Earl of Arundel. Hollar's engraving gives a vivid picture of 17th century London. He is buried in St Margaret's Church, Westminster.
(1564-1616) is commemorated by a window and monument in the South Aisle.
The window, designed by Christopher Webb, replaced a previous one destroyed during the 2nd World War. It shows characters from some of Shakespeare's plays.
The monument, carved by Henry McCarthy in 1912, shows a recumbent alabaster figure of the actor and writer set against a background of 17th century Southwark.
William's brother Edmund was buried in St Saviour's in 1607. Although the position of his grave is unknown, he is commemorated by an inscribed stone in the paving of the Choir.
(1919-1993), American artist, director, and producer, is probably best known as the driving force behind the rebuilding of Shakespeare's Globe in Bankside. After battling bureaucracy for many years, his vision finally triumphed and permission was granted for the building of a replica of the Globe on a site very close to the original. Sadly, he died before the project was completed.