Education Centre (School Visits)
- All visits must be booked in advance. The Cathedral is a busy building so it is worth booking your visit early
- Workshops are available Monday to Friday and trails Tuesday to Friday. Other visits may be possible by arrangement
- The cost per child per session is £3.60. two sessions cost £5.90 per child. There is no charge for accompanying adults
- The Education Centre has a well-equipped classroom where children can also eat lunch
- We welcome children with special needs. Please advise us of any special requirements at the time of your booking.
Address: Southwark Cathedral Education Centre
Telephone: 020 7367 6715
Fax: 020 7367 6725
Schools are responsible for conducting their own risk assessments. However, the Education Centre's Risk Assessment document is available on request.
If you would like to make a preliminary visit to the Cathedral before bringing your pupils then contact the Education Office. We will be pleased to meet you and discuss any queries you might have about your day.
If you are visiting another local site, we are happy to create a trail which will complement your visit, whether it is a contrasting study of war and peace, an historical theme or a comparison of places of worship.
Why not bring your staff to learn more about the activities we offer? You’ll receive a short tour of the building, sample some of our trails and view our wide range of resources. We tailor-make and deliver subject-specific sessions for example:
How would you use this space?
A practical, RE-focussed activity for teachers and students exploring the opportunities for learning outside the classroom in Christian places of worship.
Working with Wonder
How do we seek to engage children in places of worship and assist in their spiritual development?
This workshop will explore how the Education Centre uses Southwark Cathedral as a resource for learning and give participants the opportunity to develop creative ways to investigate church buildings with children.
Contact the Education Officer for more information.
Teachers who have participated
in this RE INSET said:
It gave me ideas to do in class and encouraged me to bring children to the Cathedral
The hands-on element brought it to life – very enjoyable
We were immersed in a spiritual, supportive environment
Thank you for an inspiring and useful day
Good to explore....in a cross-curricular way with specific RE objectives and content
Content (was) just right and delivered in such a fresh and enthusiastic way